Tuesday, February 22, 2011

3D Model of a Hand

3D Model of a Hand

Smooth_On's 'Life Casting Starter Kit' is easy to use and a bit of fun.

Most of the things I replicate are inanimate, like engine head ports or coins (Redesign on a Dime). For things like that, I've used slow setting low shrinkage silicone rubber. For living things you need something a bit quicker and safer. Just to try it out, I purchased a kit from Reynolds Advanced Materials and made a plaster reproduction of my hand. It was pretty straight forward - once I read ALL of the directions. The first attempt didn't work because the materials were too warm and set up before I could get my hand in. The folks at Reynolds were very understanding and helpful.

The second attempt went better, but I had a few air bubbles in the plaster. I scanned the plaster replica with my ZScanner 800 and the voids were easily fixed using Rapidform XOR. You can download a free copy of the STL file, just click on the hand and select download.

I expect my next attempt to give much better results.

No comments:

Post a Comment